Step 1: Getting to Know You (& Your Space)
The first step in the design process is to gather as much information as possible about you, your space, your lifestyle, your preferences and your dislikes. To get to know you, we start with the following activities:
We meet to explore and define the project, discussing such questions as:
- What spaces do you want to include in the project?
- What types of activities will you do in the space?
- What are your design preferences – style, color, etc.?
- What are your must-haves?
- What do you want to keep?
- How much do you want to spend?
- What is your timeframe for completing the project?
- How will we best work together?
Show and Tell
Photos of spaces or design elements that you love, and those that you don’t like help to clarify your design preferences. We review and discuss your collection of magazine clippings, example images, and snapshots to help set the direction for the design style.
Detailed measurements are necessary to properly plan the layout of your space. We photograph the space and measure the dimensions of each room, along with all windows, doors, electrical outlets, obstacles, etc. in preparation for planning the appropriate sizes and positioning of furnishings, cabinetry and lighting.